Saturday, April 16, 2011

Joanne Woodward & Paul Newman




Image Source: Life.com


Whenever I fall sick, I like to read about Old Hollywood Legends. It may stem from my love of greek mythology (classic hollywood icons are our closest embodiments of immortality ) and my love for classic hollywood movies. I was struck again by Joanne Woodward and Paul Newman's long marriage and love story.

Can you see how Paul Newman only ever looks at her?

It reminded me of Louise Gluck's poem titled "Happiness":

A man and a woman lie on a white bed.
It is morning. I think
Soon they will waken.
On the bedside table is a vase
of lilies; sunlight
pools in their throats.
I watch him turn to her
as though to speak her name
but silently, deep in her mouth--
At the window ledge,
once, twice,
a bird calls.
And then she stirs; her body
fills with his breath.

I open my eyes; you are watching me.
Almost over this room
the sun is gliding.
Look at your face, you say,
holding your own close to me
to make a mirror.
How calm you are. And the burning wheel
passes gently over us.

No comments:

Post a Comment