Thursday, March 10, 2011

Can I ask you a question?

Yesterday, I was walking back from Raffles Place, crossing the bridge across Boat Quay, when four extremely young girls in dark blue pinafores bounced in front of me and cried, "Can I ask you a question?" I smiled as I looked at their light blue workbook, my answers would be penciled into the column "First Singaporean" next to the column "First Tourist". They proceeded to introduce themselves to me and then tried to exchange names with each other, although they are of the age where their names are sewn onto the top right side of their pinafores. Could they see the girl in me that was once as young as them?

So they asked me the typical educational tour questions - what I thought about Boat Quay, etc, helpfully providing me with model answers to questions I've never thought about ("How can Boat Quay be improved?"). When we finished, they snapped a quick picture of me (I'm sure with my mouth wide open), thanked me and started running away in their white sneakers with a speed best described as youthful exuberance.

They started shouting with glee, "Let's ask that Tai Tai next!"

Oh, to be so young again, is one thought. Another is to buy white sneakers.

2 comments:

  1. I need more respondents like you! And more exuberance like them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You will dear, you definitely will :)

    ReplyDelete