Friday, September 9, 2011

Returning to School

I went back to my faculty’s library on Thursday. I had to get a few books for a case. It felt so familiar even though there was construction going on (there is always construction going on in Singapore). It was very quiet, which was what I always loved and disliked about libraries. The quiet gives one the extra intimacy – you can almost feel the books breathing. But when it’s too quiet, it seems like all of life has fallen still and nothing feels real… and only when I exit the library again do I feel that something is returned to me.

It’s been a year and a few months since I graduated. Oh, lots of thoughts flew in and out of my head. I looked at the students around me. I wasn’t out of place. There weren’t many students around. It was early evening and the semester has after all just begun. Sometimes you get caught in your own life, you forget that you are only one wave of a big ocean… and the ocean will repeatedly repeatedly return to the shore, carrying with it greater and greater waves. I wanted to tell them so many things. Ask lots of Questions. Have Long Lunches. Take Conflicts of Law. Enjoy yourself. It’s true, the grass always appear greener on the other side… so sleep in your grass while dreaming of everything (oh! The things the things!) that lies ahead.

No comments:

Post a Comment