Monday, June 20, 2011

Heroism

I once fantasised about writing a fantasy novel. I use the word "fantasy" because I don't want to constrain it - i would love for it to have the widest realm of magic and illusion as possible. I finished two science (?) fiction/ fantasy books of the best kind lately. The hero reminds me a lot of Hamlet, and often highlights that the hardest battles are often within yourself.

I love fantasy novels, especially their sweeping epic arcs and seemingly endless trilogies, preludes, epilogues set in a universe that is constantly expanding. I love how people set their own rules in each worlds, and the best kind of fantasy novels break away from conventional tropes or even better, use conventional tropes (heroes, quest, etc) in the greatest of heartfelt ways.

Maybe, just like my love for fairytales, I am in love with Heroism. I am in love with the idea of our better selves. I don't deny that novels can be pretty heavy-handed - some people, types, seem to be eternally relegated to sideline roles while the heroes are often "reluctant" and yet unable to resist their "destinies". I do want to kick the hero or heroines at times, but in the end, we laugh and cry and enjoy this journey of self knowledge. For we understand that we are our own worst monsters.

No comments:

Post a Comment