Saturday, October 22, 2011

Carrot's Book Launch

This morning, I went to Carrot's book launch. I haven't read her book yet, but D and I excitedly bought it before the writers started speaking about their works - this slim tome that seemed far heavier than its actual weight.

What hit me this morning, besides more inspiration in my head than I've felt in a while, was the existence of so many different tones in this world. Each speaker spoke in what was undeniably, their intrinsic voice, and with the way they emphasized words and even the words they chose, it brought out so much character.

The first speaker (not the actual author) was male, incredibly earnest and boisterous and delivered a rich text. The second speaker read out his own work and it felt incredibly personal and private, as if you had uninvitingly found yourself in the middle of a lover's quarrel. The third speaker was a woman whose written words took on a completely different character from how she was in real life - yet it wasn't disconcerting, and actually kind of gelled after a while, you could see, I think, how her natural bluntness in real life eased into an honest, yet forgiving, poetic voice.

The fourth speaker was M, Carrot's representative, and she was, in my objective and completely unbiased opinion, the most brilliant. M has such a lovely voice that seems to spring out to your ears. I felt she gave a different texture of Carrot's words, there's that sharp consciousness in M's tone, that world wry humour, that inner knowledge, that gives Carrot's words a surprising edge. I imagined how it would sound in Carrot's own voice, and I think Carrot's tone is more wistful, more hopeful and more indulgent. I loved both interpretations (M's one and Carrot's imaginary one in my head, or at least how it sounds in my head when I read her works).

The last speaker was a playwright, and there's something about the way she enunciated her words, that while entertaining never completely felt fully genuine, as if she was always performing.

So, it was extremely interesting to see how people spoke orally as compared to how they spoke with their written words. Someone once told me that I speak exactly like how i write, I was surprised at this for I don't think it's often for the two sides of myself to come together at once.

4 comments:

  1. the last speaker is a storyteller by profession, maybe that's why? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha I hope I didn't sound mean because I really did like her as well :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. no no i didn't think you were being mean, but just the idea of a storyteller performing her own works...adds another layer between her and her audience, making her seem less...sincere or personable or something.

    ReplyDelete
  4. She IS a good story-teller. :) Thanks for telling me hee.

    ReplyDelete